Wednesday, May 22, 2013

...AND I BECAME A FISH...


Hi lovelies,
This is one part of my weight-loss programme that's sooooo important and I don't know how i forgot to tell you about it. Don't mind me when I say I became a fish, I don't mean it literally. It's just that I fell in love with swimming.

While i weighed 105kg and a size 18, i decided to start swimming. I was so shy at first. i'd tie my towel up to the point where i'd descend the pool ladder to get into the water, then i'd toss my towel to d closest chair by the pool, and allow the water cover me to my chest. I was so shy cos that was my first time wearing a swim suit since i was 8years old.



Please keep reading...

I decided to suck it up and learn to swim. I had done research on the benefits of swimming and i knew this was something i needed to do. Well there i was, the FAT girl in the pool, scared of drowning, no prior swimming lessons, and all i had was my crazy-ass willpower, determination, and my readiness to learn.

Long story short, i learnt to swim in about 3 weeks, the first week was scary, my teacher was patient with me though, the second week was me surviving on sheer determination, google and no teacher, i got rid of the fear somehow, and by the third week, my teacher was back and ready to teach me different strokes. Let's just say i learnt to swim, and i fell in love with it. I was swimming at least 4 times a week, and sometimes, everyday of the week.

I'll tell you the benefits of swimming as these were the benefits I had read about that made me get rid of the shyness and get into the pool.

1. Swimming helps you lose weight and burn calories almost effortlessly, it's so much fun that you don't notice that even wading around in the water burns calories (a little though). When you start learning the swimming techniques even when you're not doing it at a competitive level, you actually shed alot of calories.
2. Swimming puts little stress on your body. This statement is so true, because i hurt my ankle at some point when i was skipping about 1200 jumps in the morning and another in the evening with my 105kg body. i was asked by the doctors to stay away from any exercise that puts a strain on my joints and ankles, infact i was asked to stay off my ankle for awhile. During this period i swam everyday, i didn't want anything to discourage me from losing weight. and for a period of 3weeks all i did were dumbbell lifts, situps and lotsa swimming and of course my diet. My ankle healed well, and i lost about 4-5kg that month.
3. It's a very good cardiovascular workout. Swimming uses so many muscles in your body, your heart and lungs must work hard to supply them all with oxygen. This means that swimming will give your cardiovascular system an excellent workout. Any exercise that makes you breathe a little heavier is good because it means your body is working hard. As your heart and lungs get stronger and you get used to doing laps in the pool, you will be able to go for longer periods before you get tired. So don't be discouraged if u run out of breath after just a short while in the pool. Keep trying and it will get better.
4. Swimming improves muscle tone. Swimming is known to be one of the best all round aerobic exercises because it works all the major muscle groups so it targets every area of your body.
5. Swimming provides constant resistance exercise as you are battling against the water to propel your body forward. This makes it excellent for increasing strength especially in the upper body.
As your swimming progresses you will build muscle which in turn burns fat. So calories will be burned as you swim, plus you will burn more calories as your swimming improves. This also helps improve muscle definition and tone.

Well, i hope i have been able to convince you to get a swim-suit, and go swimming regardless of what you weigh, or what size you are, or what you look like in a swim-suit. Get into the pool and start burning those calories, every stroke you take brings you closer to your desired weight. Till next time, stay healthy, stay fit. ciao.

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN










3 comments:

  1. Nice and inspiring story, love the way you wrote this. Thank you for sharing your personal story with your readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog u have here.. I ve bn an ardent believer in healthy living and have successfully lost my excess weight. But my problem is dat my once full bossom have disappeared. My boobs have gone saggy and droopy like dat of an old woman. I am not even married yet and i am only 26. In fact,my confidence in dat area have nose-dived. Pls what can i do to make it firm and perky again? Or is it a case of ara dara ada,adago (in flavour's voice)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia, I haven't found a perfect answer to the lose skin on the boobs that comes with excess and drastic weight-loss. I sought advice with 2 different doctors and i was told that the human body can tighten back on excess skin when it finds that it has no need for it, but that it would take a long time. As for what i would advice, i'd say get bras with very firm fittings and keep working out and eating right.

    ReplyDelete