Wednesday, May 14, 2014

I NEED TO GROW MY HAIR FAST PART 2: FOODS THAT HELP HAIR GROWTH



Last week Friday, I was asked by a colleague if I was sick. I asked why she said that, and she said it was because I hadn't made my hair in about 3 weeks. I laughed over it, and said I was enjoying carrying my natural relaxed hair. We left it at that, though I could tell she wasn't satisfied with my answer. Yesterday afternoon, another colleague, this time a guy asked if I was broke because I hadn't made my hair. I actually started wondering why there was so much negativity attached to an African woman carrying her natural hair. We'll that's their problem not mine. It's alarming to see how we look down on the things God has given to us, instead of looking after them. Don't get me wrong, I love changing my looks with different hairstyles - weaves, wigs, braids etc but I also love trying out different styles with my real hair (view one of them here).

Anyway I have decided to pay more attention to my hair, looking after it, and pampering it till it grows longer (I hope I start seeing results in 7 months time oh ). I have talked a little about my HAIRCARE ROUTINE in a previous post, but now I have decided to look at hair care from a different  angle. We have all heard this saying "YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT", this also affects the hair too. So I'll be looking at different foods we eat that help our hair grow and add volume.


1.     SPINACH
This is a very nutritious and beneficial vegetable to add to your regular diet or meal plan. It is high in vitamin C, vitamin K and calcium, and these vitamins help to strengthen your hair.
Also it has a high water content which provides your hair with moisture and contributes to its overall appearance hence acting as a natural moisturizer, working from the inside out.


2.    SWEET POTATO
Sweet potato is rich in vitamin A, and is excellent for cell growth thanks to its high beta-carotene content.Without enough vitamin A, our hair can really become dried out and brittle. With the abundance of different nutrients, the nourishment it provides to thirsty strands is almost unmatched. Some people also apply it to the hair externally. I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for its external use. 
The external recipe I saw on a bloggers youtube channel is: Take one big sweet potato, 1 cup yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon of olive or almond oil. Blend all the ingredients until the mixture is smooth, apply it and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. For those who have very dry hair, you can also add 2-3 tablespoon of coconut cream with the rest of the ingredients. (I just might try it out.... *wink*)


3.    EGGS
Eggs are rich in biotin, a B vitamin essential for hair growth and overall scalp health. They are a great solution to most of the hair problems and they are easily available, inexpensive and are natural alternatives that can be used both internally and externally for hair growth. Eggs make the hair strong, prevent breakage, make them soft and help in their growth and also help to restore the natural oils present in the hair and scalp. Just eat a balanced diet that includes about 2 eggs a week. Some people use the egg as an external hair treatment and there are soooooo many deep conditioning recipes that include eggs, as soon as I make mine, you'll be the first to know.


4.    BEANS
  • It's been said that the more nutritious protein you consume, the faster and healthier your hair will grow. Beans are a great source of protein and they also contain iron, zinc and biotin, which prevent against brittle hair which breaks and falls out before the desired growth is achieved. Beans should be eaten at least twice or thrice a week as part of a hair-friendly diet.



    5.    AVOCADO PEAR
    Eating avocados is great for your hair because it's  loaded with vitamin E, vitamin C, B6 and other nutrients including antioxidants that protect against cell damage. Avocado can be applied externally to your hair 10 minutes before washing it off. The nutrients in avocado expedite the growth of new hair. I'll put up an avocado hair mask recipe as soon as I try it out.
    I hope I haven't bored you. Be sure to start eating these with me, and I pray we see results *fingers crossed*. Tell me all about it in the comments box below. Love hearing from you

    Ciao
    Bubzille.




4 comments:

  1. You are right dearie, Most people are so used to the weave trend and now believe its a must-do part of our lifestyles. I know a lady that sets apart weaves for the whole year, month by month and she believes flaunting her natural hair is a taboo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao, we abuse our hair instead of looking after it. I want to grow mine oh. I hope it works sha

      Delete