Thursday, August 7, 2014

5 SURE WAYS TO OVERCOME SUGAR CRAVINGS

Do you constantly feel the need for chocolates, ice creams, creamy muffins, sugar coated snacks, sugar, sugar, sugar...?  If your answer is yes, then you are not alone. I used to be a sugar addict (I'm still working on my occasional biscuit cravings too), and these tips which I'm about to share with you have helped me (and are still helping) kick the sugar cravings.




Sit back, relax, read up and learn how to develop your willpower against strong sugar cravings.

1. EAT BREAKFAST

This may sound like its unrelated, but eating breakfast about 1 - 2 hours after waking up has been proven to reduce unhealthy cravings. The best kind of breakfast should consist of Proteins, healthy fats like nuts, and complex carbs. These classes of food help keep you feeling full till your next "scheduled meal", hence you are less likely to reach for an unhealthy sugary snack in between.

2.  CLEAN OUT YOUR REFRIDGERATOR/HANDBAG/DRAWER

Have you ever heard this saying "out of sight is out of mind"? It's totally applicable here (even though I doubt the originator of that quote was talking about sugar cravings...lol). You are less likely to reach for cake, chocolate etc if it's not close by. Stock your fridges with unrefined healthy food, so that when those sugar cravings come, there'll be no sugar to feed them with.

3.  PRACTICE THE WATER TRADE

This one totally works for me. When I feel like eating junk food, I reach for 40cl of water instead. Hahahahah, talk about peeing like a racehorse. Apart from the fact that it makes me pee a lot (which I totally don't mind), it helps kill the cravings, and might I add that drinking water regularly aids  weightloss, increases energy, helps in tissue repair... (Benefits of drinking water is a story for another day).

4.  FIND A BETTER STRESS RELIEF TECHNIQUE

This one is for people who are "stress eaters" (people who snack on junk when they are stressed). I used to be a stress eater. I'd eat biscuits while working, or after working as a means of relaxation. I decided to try healthier ways to ease my stress like evening strolls, stretch routines, spa treatments, massages, swimming etc. Find a healthy way to ease the stress, let it be something you enjoy doing, so you can look forward to it and watch those sugar cravings go.

5.  THE SUBSTITUTION PLAN

This one is one sure way to trick your body into satisfying its sugar cravings, without giving it unhealthy stuff. Sometimes when I crave biscuits, I reach for carrots. When I crave cake, I eat apples, when I crave chocolates, I eat sweet grapes etc (I'll do a post soon on the different healthy foods you can substitute for unhealthy ones that help kill unhealthy cravings). The reason this works is that sometimes, all your body craves is something crunchy, and the brain interpreted this as biscuits, but that chewy craving can be helped with carrots. I found this works for me, you can try it out and tell me if it works for you.

Remember that you shouldn't beat up yourself or purge or do anything unhealthy when you eat the wrong stuff. Just practice these steps above and watch the sugar cravings fade away.

Till my next post, have fun...

Ciao 

No comments:

Post a Comment