Tuesday, December 16, 2014

MY SOUTH AFRICAN DIARY: MANDELA HOUSE

Hi everyone,
I already told you all that I went for a vacation, if you haven't seen that post, you can view it here. The next place I visited was The Great Mandela house. It was really enlightening to go back in time with relics that have been preserved over the years. Former South African President Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela and his family lived here from 1946 into the 1990’s. He donated the house to the Soweto Heritage Trust on 1st September 1997.


On 16 March 1999, the National Monuments Council declared the property a national monument In terms of Government notice 126 as published in the Government Gazette no. 19719, February 1999. 
I'll try my best to make these pics brief though. So let's start viewing...

On the way to Soweto, I passed by the famous 2010 worldcup stadium...

Entrance to the Mandela House



He wrote this when he returned from jail...


His words, in his letter to his wife



The little kitchen






















2 comments: