Today's post is a DIY post on how to make a statement neckpiece from an old T-shirt. I actually used to do something similar to this with paper when i was younger (my sister may remember this when she sees this post). Anyway i saw people try this with "jersey material", and i decided to give it a go. However instead of going out to buy new stuff to make this neck-piece, i decided to use stuff around the house to make mine. The beauty of this DIY tutorial, is that you may incure no additional cost, and you would get a new piece of jewelry. Well, like i always say, less talk and let's begin. To see how i made this, please keep reading...
THINGS I USED
5. Chain (can be got fropm a bag, old necklace, etc)
HOW I MADE THIS
1. Lay the t-shirt on a flat table, and cut out 3 inch wide, and 30 inch strips from it. (you can cut either vertically or horizontally, depending on which side gives the 30inch length). Remove the hem from the t-shirt before cutting.
2. Stretch each piece by simply tugging on it (as though you want to slack a t-shirt). Keep tugging till it curls.
3. Select one edge of each strip and place the tips together. Make a tiny hole through about through them (the hole should be about 0.5 inches from the tip).
4. Cut a 4 inch long, 1 inch wide piece strip from the t-shirt and pass through the holes on the long strips. This would link them together.
5. Tie the short strip around the 4 long strips and make 2 strong knots (or knot till it's secure).
6. Hold the knotted bunch between your thumb and index finger, and spread out the strips in a star shaped form. (one strip should be behind the thumb, one infront of the index finger, one to the left and one to the right).
7. Take the strip behind the index finger and place towards you, forming a loop.
8. Take the strip behind the thumb and place away from you, over the bunch forming a second loop.
9. Next pick the strip from the left side, pass over the first loop, and place through the second loop.
10. Pick the right strip, pass over the second loop and pass through the second loop.
11. Pull the four strips carefully, until the knot is formed.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 untill you get to the end of the four strips.
13. Bunch up the end of the knots, and make a hole through the strips, similar to step 3. Repeat steps 4 and 5 at this end.
14.Cut 3 of the strips short, leaving one slightly long. Fold the long strip in a small n-shape, and glue down.
15. Cut a 4 inch long, 1.5 inch wide strip to wrap the the bunch. Apply glue to it, roll and hold untill secure.
16. Go to the initial knot (the first knot before you began weaving). Glue an n-shaped strip and repeat step 15.
17. Using your pliers, open up a chain link and attach the open link to the n-shaped anchor strip made in step 14.
18. Using your pliers, open another chain link to the n-shaped anchor strip made in step 16.
This is the final look. You can use this method to make 2 coloured neck-pieces, you can also vary the thickness of the strips to make your neck-piece chunkier.
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, and i hope with the pictures, it will be pretty easy to follow. I would upload a brief video here (if google lets me) or on my instagram page. Be sure to make yours and give me a shoutout.
See you next Friday.